About Gokarna Trek
Gokarna is a city situated in Uttar Kannada district of Karnataka. The name Gokarna has been derived from two words, ‘gau’ meaning cow and ‘karna’ meaning ear, which means cow’s ear. The reason for such a name is due to its root in mythology. This place is usually known for its idyllic beaches and pristine waters, which attracts tourists who are looking for a peaceful vacation. It is a comparatively less crowded and less commercialised version of Goa, and most suitable for those who look for the less crowded beaches. Being situated on the coast of Arabian Sea it attracts many beach lovers every year.
Most of the beaches in Gokarna are untouched but day by day it is gradually getting popular to all and it is being considered as the one of the most visited tourist spots in the country. The best way to experience these untouched beaches is to hike through all of them. Gokarna serves as one of the most exciting and memorable destinations for backpackers along the sea coast.
Let us take a look at some of the guides for beginners about trekking through this coastal town.
Gokarna Beach Trek- Overview
Whenever we think about trekking what comes in our mind is that lofty mountain peaks, crevassed snowfields, flowing streams and unique landscapes. If anybody wants to experience trekking with difference then trekking here will be the first option for them. This place has numerous beaches and the trek route is popularly known as the “Golden Route”. The trail is usually done by walking on the beach sand by the side of rocky hill on one side and far stretching Arabian Sea on the other side. The route mainly of this trail generally passes through numerous beaches starting from Kudle beach then on the popular Om beach. The trail of this beach ends at Paradise beach. Gokarna is located 520 km away from the garden city Bangalore. The place serves as an ideal destination to spend weekends.
Trek level: easy to moderate
Trail type: beaches and forests
Distance: 10-12 km
How to reach Gokarna?
The nearest airport to Gokarna is the Dabolim airport in Goa, which is about 140 km away and requires 4 hours of drive. The airport is well connected with all the big cities of India.
The nearest railway station to this place is Gokarna situated at a distance of 10 km away from the main city. Being a small station it is not connected to the major cities. Another station, Ankola located at a distance of 20 km from this place and considered as the nearest and well-connected station.
Gokarna is also well-connected by road with its nearby cities One can find direct buses from Goa, Bangalore and Mangalore. Also, cabs are available for a comfortable journey.
Gokarna Trek schedule
- Packing up from Bangalore
- Reaching the Base Camp that is Gokarna Beach. Then freshen up by having breakfast and dropping rest of the luggage at the Base Camp.
- Then starting the trek and having packed lunch on the way.
Trekking through the
Kudle beach, Om beach, Half Moon Beach, Paradise beach, Rock climbing, Dolphin’s point.
Then returning back to the Base Camp.
- Waking up early, having breakfast, and freshening up
- Packing the luggage
- Visiting Vibhooti/ Jog falls on the way
- Having lunch
- Visiting Mirjan Fort on the way
- Having dinner
- Then returning back to Bangalore.
Gokarna Trek- The best time to visit
The ideal time to hike this place is from October to mid-March when the temperature is moderate, April and May are relatively hot in this place.
Things need to be carried
- Small backpacks to carry essentials.
- Water bottles with leak-proof.
- Lunch box.
- Raincoats in case of rains.
- comfortable pair of shoes with good traction.
- Torch lights to be used at night.
- Jacket or sweater as the weather changes drastically.
- Cargos or track pant that can be dried easily in case of rain
- Full sleeve T-shirts or cotton shirts to avoid sunburns.
- Personal medication kits like crocin, ORS, betadine cream, volini spray, and many other things.
- Towels should be light and easily dried after use.
- Toiletries like soaps, toothpaste, a toothbrush for convenience.
- Sunglasses and sunscreen.